MyMenu1


Productivity Tactic #3: Captain's Log

By: Clau González on 1/09/2015 at 11:59 AM Categories:
I have often been told:
"If you didn't write it down, it didn't happen."
And I never wanted to listen. It just took too much time and effort to write things down. But when I started my PhD, I knew I would need some sort of way to make sure that I stayed on track. These kinds of programs are by design structureless. So as a student who refuses to go ABD (All But Dissertation), imposing a structure on myself is absolutely imperative.

Enter my Captain's Log

And yes, this is a Star Trek reference.



I used GoogleForms to create a log for my daily activities. In it, I track if I engaged in scholarly activities (reading, writing, data collection/analysis), teaching activities, or service activities. I also track a few personal metrics such as the miles I walked,  (see The Year to Thrive and 1,000 Miles).

At the end of the week, I can access the data summary that Google so nicely puts together.