MyMenu1


2015: The Year to Thrive

By: Clau González on 1/01/2015 at 1:07 PM Categories:


It was the middle of 2010 when I realized that something had to change. And that something, unfortunately, was me.

I was always stressed (most of the time, I could not even tell you why). I never EVER exercised. While I was (and still am) a vegetarian, I did not have a healthy diet. I had finished my MBA, I had a job, and yet, I felt like I was failing at adulting.

My mission, and I did choose to accept it, was to move away from my workaholic-unhealthy-stressed-about-everything ways to be who I thought I wanted to be.

But how to approach such a seemingly insurmountable challenge? Ah - science!

I read all sorts of articles and books on motivation, creating healthy habits, and making lifestyle changes. And honestly, they all sucked. Big time. They were dull and, frankly, the self-help section of my bookstore made me feel like I was part of the Who's Who of Human Failing.

I was looking for EPIC. I wanted the journey to be AWESOME. And all those books made it look like hard, dull work. I was just not into it.

Enter KICK-ASS.

That's right. I was too poor (student loan payments, anyone?) to read the comics, but I certainly watched that movie. By the end, I was totally and completely convinced that while Hit-Girl had had a messed-up childhood, she was awesome. She could fight, she was confident, and she gave zero fucks about what the world thought of her.

So I said to myself: "This is what I must do: KICK-ASS!"

2011: The year to KICK-ASS

When this year began, I made a list of all the ways I wanted to kick-ass: confidence and fitness topped the list. I also wanted a nose piercing.

And so, I focused on making things happen. I got my nose pierced. I joined a boxing gym. I worked on leveling-up my work skills to be more confident. It was Epic. Not in a way that would make a good movie, but in the way I experienced it.

2012: The year of ACTION

I made great strides in 2011. But I needed more. It was time to pursue my dream: get a PhD. So this year, my goals were to apply and be accepted to a PhD program, get some self-defense lessons, and keep up boxing.

2013: The year of DARING

I was now in a PhD Program, and I was 29 years old. With the big 3-0 on the horizon, I needed to check-off some things on my bucket list: skydive, run in a race (5K, I'm really not a runner), travel. Also, I got a divorce (which was necessary and a daring thing to do).

2014: The year of POSSIBILITIES

So, I turned 30. I had gotten a divorce. I was in a PhD Program, and the world was my oyster. I wanted to travel some more. But my only real agenda was to get over the divorce and move on.

2015: The Year to THRIVE

And here I am. I am still in a PhD program (YAY!). And I am finally close to being an adult. I have a new, healthy, relationship. My goal this year is to make room to grow - professionally and personally.

Here are some of the ways I hope to thrive:

  • Health: keep my diet and weight on the healthy side most of the year.
  • Walk: I am walking a few miles everyday. My goal is to get to 1,000 by the end of the year.
  • Learn: learn Italian (since I already speak English, Spanish, and French).
  • Code: learn python - for my research
  • Propose: my dissertation!